Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Getting through with grace

True confession: driving from work to my prenatal appointments is when I am my absolute worst self.

It's the time in life I am most glad to NOT be on a reality show, when I'm most glad to NOT have any passenger, when I'm most relieved other drivers canNOT hear me through my rolled up windows.

I am nasty. Like, pounding both hands on the steering wheel, yelling at the top of my lungs, red in the face kind of nasty.

It's the time in life I'm most relieved to be a sinner saved by grace. And it's the time I need to read words like this: "Ladies, I feel like getting through the hard stuff with grace is absolutely vital to our femininity as women. I also feel like this might be something our generation is in danger of missing. For this life to be fulfilling, we must get our hands dirty. As far as I can tell, the gospel demands it. At home or at our jobs, the story is the same. We’re tempted to complain or avoid or quit when things get tough or uncomfortable. I know because I’ve been there, but I don’t want to be about that anymore. I don’t want to raise children under this idea, either... I want to be the kind of woman who isn’t afraid to put my head down and get the job done." - Rachael

 Let me be the first to admit that driving from my full-time job to my amazing birth center where I am an active participant in decisions regarding the baby I am beyond blessed to be carrying doesn't really qualify as hard stuff.

But it's the time I'm aware of my own failures and selfishness. My need for God's grace and my call to live accordingly.

So here I go. Publicly committing to my desire to put my head down and get through the hard stuff with grace. In pregnancy, in teaching, in parenting, in marriage, in friendships. In life.

No comments:

Post a Comment