Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Baked oatmeal // boosting milk supply

You, dear readers, have two choices when it comes to this post.
1. Read this recipe, make the oatmeal, and treasure its deliciousness
2. Do all of number one, then continue reading further down the page, for a short discussion on breastfeeding and boosting milk supply

Okay, here we go: back in October, I went to visit my friend who was nursing her one month old baby. While at her house, we ate baked oatmeal for breakfast twice. It was totally awesome so I copied down the recipe, thinking it would be good to keep me full in the morning. Once I went back to work and was trying to pump enough milk for Charlotte three times a day at school, I ate this oatmeal almost every morning. It is super easy and yummy!

Baked Oatmeal:
Grease 8x8 pan and preheat oven to 350. 
In a medium sized bowl mix 1/2 cup oil, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup sugar. 
Then add 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats & 1 1/2 cup quick oats. 
Mix, then add 1 cup milk. 
Sprinkle frozen berries on top and bake for 25-35 minutes

Apparently oatmeal is lactogenic, which means it's good for helping nursing mothers build or maintain their milk supply. Especially when moms are pumping, it's really challenging to keep up with babies' needs for milk. Eating this oatmeal every morning really boosted my energy and helped me stay full until snack in addition to helping my milk supply in the morning be really great. I am so thankful for this recipe and this knowledge, as well as two amazing supportive colleagues who helped me make nursing work.
(Annnnnd.... a cute [but old!] photo of my growing babe. Love her little face!)

No comments:

Post a Comment