Thursday, June 16, 2016

Favorites: books (June 2016)

We have an unbelievable number of books in our house. 

When moving across country last summer I would estimate that at least 1/3 of the packed boxes were books. Joel used to sort of roll his eyes at all the picture books and chapter books I had accumulated- at that point we didn't have kids, ha. Now we have two children and our book collection has grown even more since they came on the scene. 

I must say: there are a lot of really lame kids' books in print right now. Not all children's books are created equal- some are quite terrible. 

But, in case you are on the hunt for some good ones, or a few to add to your child's rotation-- here are our current favorites. 

1. Knuffle Bunny. And Waiting is Not Easy (Charlotte has this whole book memorized! She loves it!). And Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. And The Pigeon Needs a Bath. Basically- all of Mo Willems' books.
 

2. The Llama Llama series. We have one in board book format, and I recently borrowed this one from our library. [Not sure why, but I wasn't utilizing the library for picture books, but then I started to get bored with our giant collection so I began checking out new books every few weeks. The library books are the ones Charlotte chooses at bedtime 9 times out of 10.]


3. The GoodNight series. We have them for Michigan and Rhode Island, where the grandparents live, and we bought the Philadelphia one last summer after we moved. 


4. No, David. 
5. Olivia. (By Ian Falconer)
6. This is Sadie. 
7. Not a Box. 
8. Owen (by Kevin Henkes)
9. The Belly Button Book (and a few others by Sandra Boynton) 

Asher's favorite: That's Not my Monkey (It breaks my freaking heart when we read this-- he stares intently as I read and turn each page. On the last page he gets this GIANT grin on his face and grabs the book to touch the monkey's fluffy tummy. Turns me to mush, I tell ya.) 

So, please share: what do your babies and toddlers like to read?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment