Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A day in this life

Inspired by a post on erstwhile dear blog, I'm typing (with a bandaid on my left thumb making it tricky...) in bed at 10:47 pm. My family is asleep and I'm just dying to overshare with anyone who will listen/ read in this little blog world. 

6am: the alarm goes off, Joel gets up, and suggests I stay in bed a bit longer. Though Asher only woke up once at 3am to nurse, I'm still tired and lounge in the dark with the white noise app going. 

6:40am: I hear some banging from the bathroom next door, realize it's Asher happily kicking the counter while Joel changes his diaper. I get up, bring him back to my bed to nurse quietly. His first feeding can be his best of the day, but only if Charlotte isn't around to make noise. Asher is sooooooo distracted these days and is constantly pulling off and making milk spill all over my shirt and his face. TMI, I'm sure. 

6:55 am: I hear Charlotte and send Joel in to get her before he leaves. She probably wasn't fully awake and is now grouchy because she isn't falling asleep easily these days and didn't really get there until around 9 last night, though she went to bed at eight. Oops!

7:20: Joel's gone. Scrambled egg and toast for breakfast. Asher makes a complete mess of his egg (and last night's leftovers!) and doesn't get much food into his mouth.. C has to put on her own jelly and then only just licks it off. But she devours her egg, so we can check morning protein off the to-do list ;) She also nibbles some sugar snap peas dipped in Ranch. #breakfastofchampions

10am: My friend/neighbor (a godsend!!), is watching Charlotte during Asher's 6 month check up. She brings her little backpack with diapers, a cup, and one toy. "Bye, mom. Ready go Miss Laura's house." And my heart falls to my knees. 

11:30: Home to get big sister. Asher has charmed everyone he laid eyes on at the doctors office, and I'm reassured that all 18.5 pounds of him are pure sugar. Charlotte is hungry and overtired and needing my attention, but Asher is starving and needs to nap as well. She watches the PBS kids app on my phone, then needs to sit on my lap to eat her macaroni and cheese. She says, "help me, please, Mom." Meaning-- spoon feed me. Every bite. Don't eat your own reheated leftovers. Duh. ;) She hasn't done this since Asher was a week old, so I absentmindedly ponder if she is getting enough attention or what could have triggered this baby-ish action. 

1:15: Asher slept for an hour and wakes up just after Charlotte went to bed. I scramble around, moving laundry, picking up some toys, doing a bit of dinner prep, looking at curtains online. I've started listening to the Coffee + Crumbs podcast while I do chores I don't really love. I wear my phone in my back pocket so I can hear it but also have my hands free.

3pm: both kids are up, though Asher is tired again and will need to nap again soon. We walk to get the mail, take selfies, read some books, "cook" in Charlotte's kitchen, change dipes, fold some laundry. We haven't gone to the grocery store this week so snacks are limited-- goldfish and clementines. Again.

5:40: at the last minute, friends bring over pizza for dinner. Their kids are older, but their whole family is patient with the chaos of ours. C is quiet, Asher happily gnaws on a steamed carrot and some pizza crust. 

6:20: quick bath for both kids because it's easier than wiping all the soggy food off Asher's face ;) They love to be in the tub together and it's sort of entertainment + cleaning all in one. 

7pm: Asher has been nursed and put to bed. Fortunately, he rolls around happily for five minutes and then puts himself soundly to sleep. We push Charlotte on the swing outside, Joel helps the neighbor cut branches, C drinks her cup of milk and we try to move toward bedtime. It's my night to put her down so Joel takes a shower, and then he does school work while I go get groceries. 

9:45: Joel is exhausted when I get home from the store and falls asleep almost immediately. I stupidly drank caffeinated iced tea at 5pm so I'm wide awake. Hence, this blog post :) I realize I didn't get a chance to learn a single thing about his day. Fortunately this doesn't happen often, but sometimes parenting with two tiny kids feels like we are ships passing in the night. 

Phew. A good day. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this so much! Doing a day in the life post now. I can see us looking back on these sooo fondly one day, but for now, we can just look back on the day and say "we all survived another day!" 👊🏻 (fist bump)