Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Something exciting: Wildly Co.

I have four favorite pieces of clothing in Charlotte's wardrobe.

One is a red shirt with a white mitten state outline, which she got this past Christmas, and which reminds her (and me) of her dad's background and family in Michigan. 

The other three are from Wildly Co. 

She has a purple swing top, a blue T that says "home is wherever I'm with you," and a pair of dark skinny jeans. She wears the shirts at least once a week... more frequently if I get the laundry done in a timely manner ;) The clothing has held up amazingly well, despite frequent wearing and washing/drying. There has been no fraying, fading, or stretching. The no fading part is especially impressive considering the deep, dark purple of her swing top (see below). 



Two other great things about these pieces are their softness, and the classic design. I LOVE solid colored clothing on kids, especially now that my toddler is starting to express some opinions about what she wears. When I look at the Wildly Co. Website, I'm struck by how easy it is to mix and match their items-- all the T shirts go with all the pants, and there are limitless combinations that can be made. 

In addition to the great look and quality of the clothing, I've recently become a bit more aware of how clothing is made. The great deals that I get on the clearance rack are probably costing some person (or family!) a lot. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but the fashion industry isn't one that's very impressive in terms of being transparent or holding fair labor practices. Almost every single article of clothing my family owns is made overseas. I don't know anything about the people who make our clothes, and that reality is starting to bother me. (Embarrassing, I know. I should have paid attention long ago. This isn't something I'm proud of.) 

Wildly Co. is committed to making clothing here in the United States, and to being honest about how/where each part of the process takes place. (See more here) Additionally, they place value on paying their workers a fair wage. Yes, the Wildly Co. clothing costs more than some of the items I find on the clearance rack. But that's because it costs more to have high-quality pieces produced in the U.S., and to pay the people who make those pieces enough money to actually live. 

To look at it one way, my baby currently has four hoodies. Four hoodies! For a baby! And two of them I purchased myself! If each hoodie cost between 5 and 10 dollars (on sale!), that's more money spent than just purchasing one high-quality, ethically made hoodie from Wildly Co. #perspective 

I'm sharing about Wildly Co. here for multiple reasons. First, because I respect the company's mission and practices and I LOVE the style and quality of their clothing. Second, because just this week they launched their full summer line, including a collection of amazing capsule wardrobes for kids!! (I love capsule wardrobes!!) And third, because I recently signed up to be involved in their affiliate program, so it's part of my responsibility to spread the word about how great this company is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment